Digital Daily Dozen: 10/13/14

Warner Bros. Korea to Debut Some Films Via Streaming Services  

Amid the surge of the South Korean online market for movies in recent years, Warner Brothers Korea will make films without theatrical release plans in the country available on the IPTV streaming film services of telecom giants starting Oct. 16.

Nielsen: Software Error Affected Fall Ratings   

Nielsen said that a software update resulted in some viewing data on broadcast and syndicated shows being attributed to the wrong network. The error seems to have mainly been in ABC’s favor. When revised numbers are released, ABC’s are expected to be lower and the other networks’ are expected to rise.

Netflix Now Charging Extra for 4K Ultra HD Content    

Netflix offers only a handful of titles in eye-popping Ultra HD — including the first season of NBC’s “The Blacklist” — but to watch them, subscribers will have to pay for its most expensive service tier. New Netflix members who want access to Ultra HD must sign up for the “family” plan at $11.99 monthly.

Hackers to leak thousands of unauthorized Snapchat pictures    

Hackers are planning a massive online leak of as many as 200,000 photos and videos, many of them nude, captured using photo messaging app Snapchat. The compromising Snapchat photos and videos are in the process of being leaked onto popular online forum 4Chan.

Click-thru rates fall short, report says   

Nielsen, Placed and xAd are calling on mobile marketers to reconsider their dependency on click-thru rates for measuring success, saying the metric is imperfect because of its inability to measure what consumers do after they view ads or account for accidental clicks.

Google Grants 42% Of EU Requests To Purge Search Results   

Google said today in a new transparency report that it has received requests from almost 150,000 people, who have asked the company to take down almost 500,000 URLs. So far, Google has removed around 42% of those URLs, but left the remaining 58% in place.

Top Cablers Drop 3% Of TV Subscribers

So-called “cord-cutting” or “cord-shaving” has dinged some big cable networks over the last four years. The top 40 biggest cable networks — in terms of penetration of U.S. TV homes — have dropped 3% average or 3.2 million TV subscribers since 2010.

To Delete, or Not to Delete? If Only We Could.  (Commentary)  

Looking for a simple “delete” option in your account settings for that messaging app, or that online shopping service? Good luck. Clicked on the “cancel account” link and saw an option to cancel a subscription cycle, but not to delete an account? Yep. Don’t quite know what the difference is between “deactivate” and “delete”?

Snowden talks privacy and government secrecy; NSA claims public report is classified  

Edward Snowden talked about privacy during a virtual interview, addressing the nothing to hide argument, ‘dangerous’ online services that are ‘hostile to privacy’ and government secrecy. Regarding the NSA and secrecy, the agency claimed ‘authorized’ public statements to the media are classified.

Social Media Giants Fail in Response to Online Abuse  

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are criticized in a scathing report from a campaign committed to eradicate technology-related violence against women.

 A BETTER WAY TO GOVERN THE INTERNET [Commentary]

Many organizations that have coordination and standard-setting functions similar to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers’ (ICANN) are governed by their direct users, who have a strong interest in the organization doing its job effectively.

DATA MINING YOUR PICTURES 

Most users of popular photo-sharing sites like Instagram, Flickr and Pinterest know that anyone can view their vacation pictures if shared publicly. But they may be surprised to learn that a new crop of digital marketing companies are searching, scanning, storing and repurposing these images to draw insights.

GOOGLE IN JAPAN

Google has suffered another setback on privacy issues, this time in Japan. The Tokyo District Court issued an injunction, ordering Google to remove some Internet search results about a Japanese man that are considered to be violating his privacy, representatives from both sides said.

 The Digital Daily Dozen is distributed weekdays (usually) by Dom Caristi as a service of the BSU Digital Policy Institute. The articles are culled from various e-newsletters. The content is not original – only their compilation in this mailing is.